From: Dan Farino
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 9:57 AM
Subject: Extremely inaccurate results using either TBF or HTB

Hi everyone,

I am getting extremely inaccurate results from my setup:

- RedHat 8.0 on a Compaq ProLiant 1600, dual PII/450, Intel Dual 100 NIC

- I’ve tried both SMP and non-SMP kernels.

- I’m using the updated tc from the HTB home page.

- I’m using the HTB that comes with the RH8 kernel.

Here’s what’s happening. If I, for instance:

     tc qdisc add dev eth2 root tbf rate 1.9mbit buffer 20Kb/8 limit 15Kb

Then my download rate goes at 360,000 bytes/s, which, by my calculations, is 2.77mbit. I am using Win2k perfmon to test the speed. The line is flat and the speed is very consistent (consistently *wrong*, unfortunately…)

Immediately after, I do:

     tc qdisc change dev eth2 root tbf rate 1.8mbit buffer 20Kb/8 limit 15Kb

My download speed is then 243,000 bytes/s, or 1.85mbit. Again, very flat, consistent line.

I have played with the parameters on both TBF and HTB in many different configurations. I always seem to have a large jump between 1.8-1.9. I can’t find any number between those two that will actually produce a 2mbit limit. I know 1.85 is close to 2.0, but is this the expected margin of error? (Then again, 2.77 isn’t close to 1.9 at all, so I hope not!)

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Thank you very much for any help you can provide!

Dan Farino

Sr. System Engineer

Stamps.com, Inc.

Santa Monica, CA