Re: Extremely inaccurate results using either TBF or HTB

> I am getting extremely inaccurate results from my setup:
>
> - RedHat 8.0 on a Compaq ProLiant 1600, dual PII/450, Intel Dual 100 NIC
> - I've tried both SMP and non-SMP kernels.
> - I'm using the updated tc from the HTB home page.
> - I'm using the HTB that comes with the RH8 kernel.
>
> Here's what's happening. If I, for instance:
>
>      tc qdisc add dev eth2 root tbf rate 1.9mbit buffer 20Kb/8 limit
> 15Kb
>
> Then my download rate goes at 360,000 bytes/s, which, by my
> calculations, is 2.77mbit. I am using Win2k perfmon to test the speed.
> The line is flat and the speed is very consistent (consistently *wrong*,
> unfortunately...)
>
> Immediately after, I do:
>
>      tc qdisc change dev eth2 root tbf rate 1.8mbit buffer 20Kb/8 limit
> 15Kb
>
> My download speed is then 243,000 bytes/s, or 1.85mbit. Again, very
> flat, consistent line.
>

> I have played with the parameters on both TBF and HTB in many different
> configurations. I always seem to have a large jump between 1.8-1.9. I
> can't find any number between those two that will actually produce a
> 2mbit limit. I know 1.85 is close to 2.0, but is this the expected
> margin of error? (Then again, 2.77 isn't close to 1.9 at all, so I hope
> not!)
>
> Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
I did some tests with htb and tbf :
http://www.docum.org/stef.coene/qos/tests/tbf/
http://www.docum.org/stef.coene/qos/tests/htb/index.html
And the accuracy was very good.

I did the tests on a debian system with a custom kernel and tc command.

How did you measure the throughput?  I use the iptables counters so I know
exactly what passes the box.  If you download a file from the internet with a
ftp client, there can be overhead due to retransmission, control packets,
....  So the speed you measure with the ftp client may be lower then the real
connection speed.

Stef

--

stef.coene@docum.org