From: Stef Coene <stef.coene@docum.org>
To: "Gabor Csuri" <csucsu@dunasor.hu>, <lartc@mailman.ds9a.nl>
Subject: Re:  traffic control based on the downloaded bytes
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 18:04:01 +0100

On Wednesday 06 November 2002 11:09, Gabor Csuri wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>  I'm new on this list. I'm the admin of the server in our house.
> We have a 768k/128k DSL line.
> There are 11 flats using this bandwith without any control.
> Some of them are "high donwloader" and the browsing speed is
decreasing=
> lot when the downloaders are waken up. :(
> I have an idea how the downloaders and the browsers can use this
bandwi=
th
> without any conflict.
> My question is: Is it possible with iproute2 ?
> My idea: I define a bandwith to downloaders (maybe 512k).
> If any of the downloading thread exceed a limit (maybe 4Mbyte) it
passe=
> into the 512k bandwith.
> How can I do this trick?
There is a length match in iptables.  But I don't know if it will work.
You can also use squid and uses the delay pools in squid.

But why don't you put all the bandwidth eating traffic in 1 class and
giv=
e it=20
a lower bandwith?  If there is no other traffic, they can use the full
li=
nk,=20
but if there is other traffic, other traffis is served first.

Stef

--=20

stef.coene@docum.org
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"