Re: New howto for Linux to dynamically throttle IP

"David Boreham" <david_list@boreham.org>
 Wrote a good question regarding the linux arbitrator
 (www.apconnections.net for details)

"Interesting. Care to say why you didn't build on the
existing
traffic shaping technology in the kernel ? etables, tc
etc ?"

Response ...
I suppose if somebody had suggested I look into these
aspects before I started I might have? I posted quite
a bit on ways to do this before starting. Not knowing
squat about LINUX.... Did not get much useful help
although people tried...

When I found the existing bridge stuff , I knew I had
a base for what I needed
so I just stuck this stuff right in the middle,
originally I did not intend to open it up (the
source). Just wanted to see if I could do it. What I
am really trying to do is find a solution for making a
turn key. self configuring, throttling product, such
that people can take it and plug it in. Talked with my
friends at Cisco and Yahoo and other ISP's and
determined there was not anything that matched what I
wanted to do. (there probably is just could not find
it) Hindsight tells me to be more useful I should have
studied Linux a bit more, but heck without a goal I
would never have even opened the kernel up...

On another note, it was really hard for me to navigate
the kernel, at first I could not get cscope up and
had to do lots of grepping and finding to chase paths
throught the kernel. Also to be honest I am much
better at conceptualizing how to solve complex
problems than I am at looking at code and figuring it
out. I can do the  latter but don't really enjoy it
much.

Is there any well written text a level above code on
IPCHAINS and other kernel burgeoning features that I
can read to painlessly form a  conceptual picture?

Thanks

Art