Re: Re: multipath routing problem [Shorter version] - Helpstill needed :-)

On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 20:21, Arthur van Leeuwen wrote:
> On 25 Oct 2002, Vincent Jaussaud wrote:
>
> > However, I don't get why, in the same SSH session, TOS may differ from
> > one packet to another. Using tcpdump, it seems that TOS value change
> > right after the authentication has been successfully made.
>
> Shit... you figured that one out *quite* a bit faster than I did at the
> time... took me two weeks.

:-)

> What openssh does is first authenticate, then set the TOS value depending on
> whether you're doing interactive communications (ssh) or bulk transfer
> (scp). One could see this as a way of minimizing information leakage...

OK, now I know why openssh is changing it's TOS !. Thanks. :-)

> Oh, and yes, it does what you deduced. I finally got that from reading the
> sources...
I could mangle the TOS field as you suggested, but I don't like this,
since packets *should* be able to find their way out, whatever path they
use to come back.

The thing I don't understand, is that even by NAT'ing everything,
everywhere, my connections still break.

I've tried to NAT on the firewall everything coming from a test IP, just
to see how it goes. No luck.

I even tried NAT'ing on the firewall, then on the gateways, then on the
final router, in the other network. Still no luck ! This is non sense !

There has to be something wrong, somewhere.

Thanks for your reply.
Regards,
Vincent.

> Doei, Arthur.
>
> --
>   /\    / |      arthurvl@sci.kun.nl      | Work like you don't need the money
>  /__\  /  | A friend is someone with whom | Love like you have never been hurt
> /    \/__ | you can dare to be yourself   | Dance like there's nobody watching

Vincent Jaussaud
Kelkoo.com Security Manager
email: tatooin@kelkoo.com

"The UNIX philosophy is to design small tools that do one thing, and do
it well."