Re: Strange thing in HTB classes

On Wednesday 09 October 2002 12:00, Bartek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've one small question.
> Why packets travel through one class when they shouldnt?
> My configuration follows:
>
> I have ie. one root class and one other class. In the other class I have
> rate=10Kbit ceil=10Kbit.
> I'm using HTB script to launch this. In the other class I have 3 rules:
> RULE=my_ip,:1024/0xfc00
> RULE=my_ip,:2048/0xfc00
> RULE=my_ip,:3072/0xfc00
> The root class has all 100Mbit bandwidth.
> When I send ping to any computer through my_ip it not going through other
> class. That is right.
> But when I do flood ping i see that something flowing through other class
> and
> transmission stopping for a while. This behaviour like it is limiting to
> the 10Kbit of the other class and not going through root class. I dont't
> know why. The more ports I include in the other class the less throughput
> of flood ping is. But when I set rate=100Kbit or more it is going ok but
> still through
> other class. I think that pings should go through root class entirely.
> When I include only a few ports the flood ping is going ok and nothing go
> through other class.
> I don't know why it is so.
When a packet end up in the root class (or a non-leaf class), strange things
can happen.  In htb3.4 or so, the nic hanged when you put 1 packet in a
non-leaf class.  Devik fixed it in a later release.  You don't know how the
packet is handled.    It's better to create an extra class and make it the
default class.

Stef

--

stef.coene@docum.org