Re: bridging and shaping

On Wednesday 25 September 2002 07:59, Rohan Almeida wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I've truly sorry if this question has been tried
> on this LIST, but i'm quite desperate now!
>
> I'm currently using a linux box doing proxy-arp,
> with same IP on both interfaces.
> kernel 2.4.18 with htb and iproute2 patch
> iptables and tc works perfectly as expected
>
> Now, I want to convert the linux box to a
> bridge, using (http://bridge.sourceforge.net)
This code is already available in kernel 2.4.x, so no patches needed if you
use a 2.4.x kernel.

> I noticed that you have to patch the kernel
> as well as iptables.
It's only needed to patch the kernel if you want to use iptables on the
bridge.

> Does tc need to be patched?
No

> Does this even work?
Yes

> I mean is it possible to operate linux
> in bridge mode and have bandwidth control also?
Yes.  You can use the u32 filter.  If you want to use the iptables+fw-filter,
you will need extra patches.

Stef

--

stef.coene@docum.org