Re: bridging and shaping

Stef Coene wrote:

>On Wednesday 25 September 2002 07:59, Rohan Almeida wrote:
>

>>Hi List,
>>
>>I've truly sorry if this question has been tried
>>on this LIST, but i'm quite desperate now!
>>
>>I'm currently using a linux box doing proxy-arp,
>>with same IP on both interfaces.
>>kernel 2.4.18 with htb and iproute2 patch
>>iptables and tc works perfectly as expected
>>
>>Now, I want to convert the linux box to a
>>bridge, using (http://bridge.sourceforge.net)
>>

>This code is already available in kernel 2.4.x, so no patches needed if you
>use a 2.4.x kernel.
>

>>I noticed that you have to patch the kernel
>>as well as iptables.
>>

>It's only needed to patch the kernel if you want to use iptables on the
>bridge.
>

>>Does tc need to be patched?
>>

>No
>

>>Does this even work?
>>

>Yes
>

>>I mean is it possible to operate linux
>>in bridge mode and have bandwidth control also?
>>

>Yes.  You can use the u32 filter.  If you want to use the iptables+fw-filter,
>you will need extra patches.
>
>Stef

I want to put very clear this idea, because I am interested in this too!
If I want to put a Linux machine with bridge and HTB shaping, and only
that (NO firewall, no iptables, no nothing, only bridge and HTB for
shaping).
Do I need to patch the kernel with anything other that the HTB patch (if
my linux kernel < 2.4.20 )
Thanks!
Julio.