marking packets vs. tc filter

Using tc filter is there a way to direct a range of ports (say ports 5000 to 5100) to a
particular flowid ?

I am aware I can use iptables to mark packets and that iptables has a syntax for port
ranges -- so I could us this method.

Theoretical question:  Has anyone done an experiment to test wether filtering with "tc" or
"iptables" is more performant?  I.e. given two ways to solve the problem which way is
better, tc filter or iptables w/ marking?

Cheers,
Curt