Re: marking packets vs. tc filter

curt brune wrote:
> Using tc filter is there a way to direct a range of ports (say ports 5000
> to 5100) to a particular flowid ?

You can translate relational operators (<, >=, etc.) into individual
tests of bits or prefixes, which can then be used by u32.
For the algorithms, see tcng's tcng/tcc/iflib_arith.c:rel_general
and the functions it calls.

If using tcc to generate such classifiers, you can speed up
configuration-time processing considerably with -Oprefix -Onocse

> Theoretical question:  Has anyone done an experiment to test wether
> filtering with "tc" or "iptables" is more performant?

In this case, iptables should win hands down, because it uses
CPU instructions that accomplish the task much more directly.

I don't know how iptables and tc compare in cases where the
actual classifications have similar cost. If somebody's going
to run some comparisons, the results may be interesting,
though.

- Werner