Re: HTB shares equally when borrowing enabled :(

On Monday 02 September 2002 13:24, Takács Bálint wrote:
> Thanks Stef! The trick with setting lower maximum bandwidth works. I
> convinced me that I understand now what happens :) The ISP starts to
> build queues when maximal input rate is reached and releases packets
> from these queues equally. Thus the prioritized connections had to wait
> sometimes and it lends its guaranteed bw instead of waiting.
>
> I had to set the ceil to as low as 50 kbps (!). My usual maximal
> throughput rate is about 55 kb/sec, while my ISP says the maximal input
> rate is 512 kbit/sec. I always assigned the difference to IP
> administration. Now, the maximal throughput  seems to not drop until
> ceil is lowered below 55 kbps. Thus I assume the rates calculated by HTB
> measure the REAL throughput without IP administration. Is it true?
HTB measures each bit that's sended.  So all ip-overhead included.

> Sometimes the maximal input rate drops (damn ISP) and it seems to enable
> small  "bursts"  with high throughputs. Does it mean that I should to
> decrease/increase the ceil when it happens? I think it depends on the
> ISP queues: if they start to build, then I must. It can mean that I
> can't use traffic shaping, or at least not HTB qdisc - maybe some prio
> setup will do the job.
You can use traffic shaping for the moments the traffic is not dropped.  If
you know exactly how the bursts are, you can try to enable the same bursts
with htb.

> What if I try to shape the outgoing traffic? Maybe it has an effect on
> incoming, too. I mean if "acknowledged" information goes back slow, I
> can manipulate the ISP queues, hm?
It can affect incoming traffic, but I think the effect will be allmost
neglectable.

Stef

--

stef.coene@docum.org