Re: HTB shares equally when borrowing enabled :(

Thanks Stef! The trick with setting lower maximum bandwidth works. I
convinced me that I understand now what happens :) The ISP starts to
build queues when maximal input rate is reached and releases packets
from these queues equally. Thus the prioritized connections had to wait
sometimes and it lends its guaranteed bw instead of waiting.

I had to set the ceil to as low as 50 kbps (!). My usual maximal
throughput rate is about 55 kb/sec, while my ISP says the maximal input
rate is 512 kbit/sec. I always assigned the difference to IP
administration. Now, the maximal throughput  seems to not drop until
ceil is lowered below 55 kbps. Thus I assume the rates calculated by HTB
measure the REAL throughput without IP administration. Is it true?

Sometimes the maximal input rate drops (damn ISP) and it seems to enable
small  "bursts"  with high throughputs. Does it mean that I should to
decrease/increase the ceil when it happens? I think it depends on the
ISP queues: if they start to build, then I must. It can mean that I
can't use traffic shaping, or at least not HTB qdisc - maybe some prio
setup will do the job.

What if I try to shape the outgoing traffic? Maybe it has an effect on
incoming, too. I mean if "acknowledged" information goes back slow, I
can manipulate the ISP queues, hm?

Bálint