Re: shaping redirected traffic

raptor@unacs.bg wrote:

>Hi I have the following situation :
>
>CableTV-NET (128-254)
>  |(c0)
>Cisco7233 -(s0)-----> Internet
>  |(e0)
>QoS Server
>
>Now I will route all traffic coming from Cable-net to Internet trought the QoS server AND then back from internet trought the QoS-Server again to the Cable-net, how I will do is another matter, i have some ideas.. ( if u have ideas too mail directly to me, i will be very glad if u can help me on this too .... i'm still one week cisco user :") ) but the main question is not this..... I'm wondering will I be able to SHAPE the traffic in both directions .... My worries are that I'm using only one Ethernet interface on the QoS-Server ? Do U have any ideas will I be able to do this ?
>
>Or I have to put 2 Ethernet cards on the QoS-Server, one for incoming and one for outgoing traffic ? I don't want to do this :"[, it becomes too weird .....
>One more thing I will use tcng (preffer it instead tc, 'cause i will have a very complex setup and i worry if i use directly tc that i will mess everything)
>
>(I will probably get a separate serial-card (Frame realay), but it is not an option at the moment and wont be soon)

You can shape on one interface with no problems at all, just create for
example one parent class for outbound and one for inbound packets, and
use iptables with marks to place packets on respactive classes under
those parent classes. Its just you have to set up the routes right. And
that depends on you physical setup. If the interfaces of Cisco and QoS
are connected directly, you could create two VLAN interfaces on linux
and route traffic as if QoS box had 2 interfaces. Or if you have some
switch that connects Cisco Cable-Net and QoS, than you just make Qos
default gateway for Cable-Net and QoS default gateway is Cisco, and from
Cisco route the Cable-Net networks to the QoS box.
Bottom line is that how the routing goes is dependent on your physical
connections setup, but shaping on one interface is definitely possible :)

>Thanx alot in advance
>
>raptor@unacs.bg
>PS. These days I'm very busy... but when i have free time i will redo the 2.4-NETWORK-DIAGRAM with some updates that Leonardo was so generous to send me...

Anton Yurchenko<phila@dg.net.ua>
Digital Generation