RE: Multipath route problem

Niels,

On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 01:14, niels@wxn.nl wrote:
> > After you apply the patches the Linux machine will need to be running NAT
> in some manor.
> > Because I have routers on each of my DSL lines I perform two
> > rounds of NAT or PAT. One in each router, and then again in the Linux
> router.
> > In doing the NAT/PAT you will need to give the outgoing interface each of
> the
> > IP's that your routers will be translating to.
>
> Have that up and running alrady ... :-)

Your routers translation? Good, then you will need to do second round of
translation in the Linux box as well.

Also helps to act as a second in line firewall that is transparent from
the outside world.

The Linux box must perform translation at some point or no go. The
patches only work when translating.

> > You will also want to dial in your DNS to servers for each IP block,
> > and load balance that as well.
>
> What do you mean by that?

The docs from isc.org, the pdf will help. You may have to use a later
version of bind, 9.x not 8.x, but it may work in older ones as well.

Normally an A record looks like

domain.com.	IN  	A	ip

So all you will need is
domain.com.	IN  	A	ip1
		IN	A	ip2

Which will use ip1 half the time, and ip2 the other half. In theory.

There are other params like the time for each one to last and etc.

Download this pdf doc on admin Bind and it should tell you what you will
need from there

http://www.nominum.com/resources/documentation/Bv9ARM.pdf

> Hope that the patches work when I get my hands on them :-)

They do, have you emailed Julian? He will send you the ones you will
need.

Without the patches things will not work correctly or at all. They are a
must not an option.

--
Sincerely,
William L. Thomson Jr.