Re: Multipath route problem

Niels,
	I do not think the two nics are your problem. First off you will need
two things. The first is patches made by Julian Anastasov,
I had a link but it does not seem to work. Julian subscribes to this
list so maybe he will post an updated link to where they can be found.

After you apply the patches the Linux machine will need to be running
NAT in some manor.

Because I have routers on each of my DSL lines I perform two rounds of
NAT or PAT. One in each router, and then again in the Linux router.

Without those two things, I was not able to get things to work by using
only the example on lartc.org that you posted below.

You will also want to dial in your DNS to servers for each IP block, and
load balance that as well.

In doing the NAT/PAT you will need to give the outgoing interface each
of the IP's that your routers will be translating to.

Example.

Public IP - Router Nat to say 10.1.0.3

On the Linux router your interface may have
10.1.0.1 as the ip, so you will need to add the other ip as well.

ip addr add 10.1.0.1/16 brd 10.1.255.255 dev eth1
ip addr add 10.1.0.3/16 brd 10.1.255.255 dev eth1

You will need to do that for each IP that the routers will NAT/PAT the
public ips to. Then in the Linux box, you can map those IP to what ever
internal ones you want from there via NAT or PAT.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

On Wed, 2002-07-31 at 06:42, niels@wxn.nl wrote:
> Hi ... I have 2 DSL lines all up and running on one RedHat box...
>
> I want to balance traffic going out over the two providers
>
> The 2 DSL routers Have IP's 10.10.10.1 / 10.10.10.2 ... my linux box (eth0)
> has IP 10.10.10.10 connected on a separate ethernet
>
> SO I read the http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html guide
> (chapter 4.2.2)
>
> In my case I have to make these routes
>
> # ip route add default nexthop via 10.10.10.1 dev eth0 nexthop via
> 10.10.10.2 dev eth0
>
> Works Fine!! every connection request going is perfectly balanced sent out
> via both gateways
> But works only on the linux box itself! from the (masqueraded) clients it
> doesn't:
>
> Every first  request which is masqueraded -> gateway 10.10.10.1 (works fine)
> Every second request which is masqueraded -> gateway 10.10.10.2 (don't get
> reply back)
>
> When I change the multipath route so that 10.10.10.2 is the first hop
>
> # ip route add default nexthop via 10.10.10.2 dev eth0 nexthop via
> 10.10.10.1 dev eth0
>
> Gw 10.10.10.2 (fine)
> Gw 10.10.10.1 (doesn't work ... Only from the linux box itself)
>
> So it every time seems to be the second "hop" in the multipath route which
> isn't beeing masqueraded properly!
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Niels!