Re: Load balancing

Greg,
	Check out the past archives not to far on June 5th, I put a post up
when I finally was able to do something similar to what you are wanting
to do. I think. I have two ISPs, two SDSL lines, separate IP blocks, and
two routers. I used a linux box as a second round of Nat and a load
balancer sort of. Although that is an option, but as mention in my post,
NAT in the Linux box is a must. The kernel must be patched, I used a
2.2.21 due to booting of a ZIP disk, and running my Linux router on
RAMDISK You can use a 2.4 but it must be patched, and run NAT.

The links you need are in my past post, and if you have questions I will
do my best to assist. Although keep in mind NAT issues are not really
for this list. That's a netfilter mailing list issue. Due my use of a
2.2.21 kernel I could not use iptables, or at least I do not think I
can. I used ipchains as you will see in the post. So if you use a 2.4
kernel you will more than likely use iptables not ipchains.

I used only two connections, but you can use as many as you have
interfaces for. Also if you are not using other routers before the Linux
one than it will be a little easier Good luck.

On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 15:06, Greg Scott wrote:
> I am trying to figure out how to do this: I've tried the howto but just become
> hopelessly confused.  (I don' think this is a problem in the howto, it's a problem
> with my comprehension.)
>
> Anyway, here's the scenario:
>
> Internal         Linux Router/           4 - T1 circuits to               Another
> Networks         Firewall                   the Internet                Internet circuit
>    |                  |   |   |    |              |       |       |       |                 |
>   +-----------------+  |   |    +------------+------+------+------+---------------+
>     --------------------+   |
>     ------------------------+
>
> There are really three internal networks for various departments.  The router/firewall
> will have 4 NICs.
>
> For one of the internal departments, I want the router to load-balance outbound
> packets among those 4 T1 circuits, which will be connected to Cisco (I think)
> routers.  I want the other departments to all share that other Internet circuit.
>
> And I need the ability to change this policy at will, so I can let other departments
> use the combined T1s as needed.
>
> I think I can figure out how to route based on the source network, that all makes
> sense in the how-to.  I can set up different routing tables based on the source IP
> address/network.  It's the load balancing that is making me crazy - how do I put
> together a load-balancing mechanism for those combined T1s that makes sense?
>
> Any advice or pointers?
>
> thanks
>
> - Greg Scott

Sincerely,