Re: [LARTC] equalize and DNS zone transfers

Paul,
	Off hand I would assume that your kernel was not compiled with
multipath support. That's the only reason I can think of off hand why
those commands would fail.

	Now if that is compiled into your kernel, then it could be a problem
with you trying to use a IP that your machine does not have routes for.

Ex. In order to use 206.253.195.209 and 64.133.254.73

if you type route -n enter, then you should get back something saying

206.253.195.0 dev eth*
64.133.254.0 dev eth*

If those entires do not appear in the routing table, then the machine
will not know how to reach the IP's you are using for your multipath
gateway.

Also, FYI,
	The article you are referring to is a good one. Mostly for the DNS
aspects. For the rest I would recommend the following.
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/~julian/nano.txt

Also there are some patches you will need to apply to your kernel in
order to make things work. Aside from the patches the linux router will
have to perform some sort of NAT.

Then and only then will you be able to use both connections. I spent
several months, and many long days and nights going through what does
not work. I have found only one working solution.

If you look through the LARTC archieves you will see my past posts. Feel
free to ask me anything, or simply post to the list and I as well as
others will reply.

Good luck, hope that helps.

On Thu, 2002-06-06 at 12:14, Paul English wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> 	I'm new to the list and I've got a couple of questions. I'm
> following instructions here:
> http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1824/sam0201h/0201h.htm
> for setting up a dual-connection (T1 & DSL) machine. My problems are:
>
> 1) ip route add default equalize doesn't work - I get:
>
> >ip route add default equalize
> RTNETLINK answers: No such device
>
> or if I do it properly:
>
> >ip route add default equalize nexthop via 206.253.195.209 dev eth0
> nexthop via 64.133.254.73 dev eth2
> RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument
>
> 2) Since that didn't work, I just made my default be via 64.133.254.73.
> Now I'm running a DNS master server on  206.253.195.209 and while it
> responds to regular dig just fine, it doesn't respond to zone transfer
> (dig axfr ). Or rather, I've been told by the guy running the slave server
> that for whatever reason it responds over the 64.133.254.73 address,
> although I'm not sure how he found that out - so zone transfers don't
> work.
>
> I'm aware that #2 _could_ be due to my ipchains configuration being
> incorrect, but I have poked some pretty big holes for the slave servers.
>
> 3) I see Policy Routing Using Linux by Matthew Marsh highly recommended on
> this site: http://defiant.coinet.com/iproute2/
> Are there any books that people would recommend even more highly? I'm
> finding the command-reference only documentation on the net to be a bit
> less than I need.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

Sincerely,