Re: [LARTC] Failover with 2 ISP's and one ethernet card? (fwd)

On 1 Jun 2002, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:

> Simon,
>         I have been working on a similar solution. To begin with you
> need to
> recompile the kernel with Julian's patches that can be found at
>
> http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/~julian/#routes

William,

I don't think the LVS project is addressing my problem. They are adressing
methods to make multiple Linux boxes appear as one box.  Their problem is
the reverse problem to mine. I want to make one box look like 2 boxes and
have it automatically use the best Internet connection -- where I define
best as: 1. Use the Wireless connection if available, 2. Use the T1
connection if the the wireless connection has failed.

My critical applications are:

1. Receive incoming email
2. Resolve DNS queries for my domain
3. Get outgoing packets to flow.

For incoming email, I can specify 2 MX records for the 2 ISP-issues IP
addresses. Both will ultimately end up at the same machine. I can specify
the Wireless IP address as the highest priority.

To resolve DNS queries, I can specify more than one IP address as the
nameservers for my domain, again, both these may end up at the same
machine, which has multiple IP addresses. I can specify the Wireless IP
address as the highest priority

For outgoing packets, I don't care about the source IP address, as long as
it is one of my 2 IP addresses and I would like to use the wireless IP
address if the link is up.

Simon