Re: [LARTC] Failover with 2 ISP's and one ethernet card? (fwd)

You completely missed what I was pointing you towards. I am not using or
talking about LVS at all. What I am talking about is alternative routes,
multiple gateways, and dead gateway detection for link failover.

>From what you said initially and what you are saying below you and I are
in the same boat.

Once again, if you want to be able to use more than one internet
connection, Julian's Linux patches apply.

Granted there is more than just the patches provided on that page. I
tried to point you to the Linux routing section of that page.

If you read either the nano-howto.txt or the dgd.txt you would
understand why I sent you that way.

Ignore the LVS stuff and pay attention to the Linux Patches section. It
has the patches for 2.4 and 2.2 kernels to properly use more than one
internet connection.

I can't express enough that I have been trying to do for some time
exactly what you are. I just have to equal bandwidth connections and you
do not.

We both have seperate public IP blocks from each ISP that need to be
mapped back to single servers. So each server requires a minimum of two
Public IP's or in other words. For each internet connection you want to
be able to use, each server will require at least 1 ip, per ISP.

Or if you have the money and the use go to ARIN and get a /20 network
some 4k+ globally routed IP's and have your ISP forward to your own
block.

Then you can have a single Public IP per server.

Otherwise check out Julian's patches and the .txt files. They are very
detailed and will give you a good over view.

Good luck.

On Sat, 2002-06-01 at 18:40, Simon Matthews wrote:
> On 1 Jun 2002, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
>
> > Simon,
> >         I have been working on a similar solution. To begin with you
> > need to
> > recompile the kernel with Julian's patches that can be found at
> >
> > http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/~julian/#routes
> >

> William,
>
> I don't think the LVS project is addressing my problem. They are adressing
> methods to make multiple Linux boxes appear as one box.  Their problem is
> the reverse problem to mine. I want to make one box look like 2 boxes and
> have it automatically use the best Internet connection -- where I define
> best as: 1. Use the Wireless connection if available, 2. Use the T1
> connection if the the wireless connection has failed.
>
> My critical applications are:
>
> 1. Receive incoming email
> 2. Resolve DNS queries for my domain
> 3. Get outgoing packets to flow.
>
> For incoming email, I can specify 2 MX records for the 2 ISP-issues IP
> addresses. Both will ultimately end up at the same machine. I can specify
> the Wireless IP address as the highest priority.
>
> To resolve DNS queries, I can specify more than one IP address as the
> nameservers for my domain, again, both these may end up at the same
> machine, which has multiple IP addresses. I can specify the Wireless IP
> address as the highest priority
>
> For outgoing packets, I don't care about the source IP address, as long as
> it is one of my 2 IP addresses and I would like to use the wireless IP
> address if the link is up.
>
> Simon

Sincerely,
William L. Thomson Jr.