Re: [LARTC] Failover with 2 ISP's and one ethernet card? (fwd)

Simon,
        I have been working on a similar solution. To begin with you
need to
recompile the kernel with Julian's patches that can be found at

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/~julian/#routes

and then read

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/~julian/nano.txt

I have yet to actually get this to work. Although I know from others
that is does. My problem is I have two SDSL routers doing NAT instead of
the linux router doing nat. That is why I am still having problems with
Julian's patches.

I am working on a double NAT solution but am having some problems I am
still trying to work out with NAT and 2.2 kernels. I am used to 2.4 and
iptables. Although ip route has some nice features that I have yet to
get to work. Like it's nat feature. But there is still ipchains and the
other 2.2 utilities.

Julian has been very gratious to respond directly to emails I have sent
him. Hopefully I will have a working solution soon and when I do will
definetly document and post my results. So far it's been a painful
learing process.

FYI, I am using a 2.2.21 kernel from kernel.org with the guts of the
Linux Router Project 2.9.8 with some other modifications.

Good luck, if you are able to achieve a working solution please post
your results. I may have a few questions as will others in the future.

Also you will need to setup split DNS here is another good link.

http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1824/sam0201h/0201h.htm

On Sat, 2002-06-01 at 16:23, Simon Matthews wrote:
> I should add that my box is running Redhat 6.2 with a 2.2.19 series
> kernel (it runs the standard RH kernel, but I can re-compile from the
> standard kernel sources if required).
>
> Simon

Sincerely,
William L. Thomson Jr.