[LARTC] Newbie questions

On Sunday 21 April 2002 23:42, Carlos del Castillo wrote:
> Thanks, I have read your docs and found the link to wonder shaper. As I
> understood I can give preference to some outgoing traffic. And with the
> ingress qdisc I can avoid the remote queue on my ISP.
The ingress qdisc can not so shape as powerfull as you can do with the=20
outgoing bandwidth.  But if you have a box between the internet and your =
LAN=20
and there is only internet traffic (typical a linux firewall :), you can=20
shape on both NIC's.  So the incoming traffic of the internet NIC can be=20
shaped as outgoing bandwidth on the LAN- NIC.

> But how can I make that some incoming traffic have some preference than
> other. For example, if I'm downloading something from my company server
> I want that this traffic comes first than an anonymous ftp. After I hav=
> finished downloading something from my company server I want that the
> ftp uses the available bandwidth. Or by internals IP's I want  that the
> traffic downloading  to my laptop computer to have preference than the
> one going to my desktop PC.
You can give the laptop 80% of the bandwidth and the remaining 20% to the=
=20
other computers in the network.  When you are not downloading, the rest g=
ets=20
100% (and vice versa).  But as soon you start a download, you will get 80=
% of=20
the bandwidth.

Stef

--=20