[LARTC] Routing with two providers

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Martin Ferrari - Decidir IT wrote:

> > > The Alexey's patches has some influence on this?
> >
> > Err... good question. What do you mean with 'the Alexey's patches'?
> > You need a kernel newer than (say) 2.2.16, and then it'll just work.
> > The work was done by Alexey, yes, but it's been included in the
> > kernel for quite some time already.
>
> Oops, I'd confused Alexey with Julian Anastasov.. I meant Julian' patches
> (http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/~julian) which apply to 2.2 and 2.4
> kernels...

Yes, Julian's patches do have an influence on multipath routing. They make
it quite a bit nicer to use in the case of interfaces going down and coming
back up again, which can and does happen. They also make multipath routing
and masquerading play even nicer with each other, although I haven't seen
problems on stock kernels with that. May very well be that the tests I've
done have been on networks with highly active but not highly demanding i
users, thereby making sure the route cache stays up to date enough...
don't really know.

Doei, Arthur.

--
  /\    / |      arthurvl@sci.kun.nl      | Work like you don't need the money
 /__\  /  | A friend is someone with whom | Love like you have never been hurt