[LARTC] How to priorize incoming traffic

On Wednesday 13 March 2002 22:54, you wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think of how to priorize incoming traffic.
>
> Therefor I read different web pages and found two different meanings.
>
> On http://www.docum.org/stef.coene/qos/docs/BB/BB.html:
>
> You can do traffic shaping with the Linux kernel. It's very important
> that you understand that you can only shape the outgoing bandwidth.
>
> On http://www.docum.org/stef.coene/qos/docs/mail_2.html:
>
> # suppose you want to limit incoming web traffic (you are the client no=
> the server so the _source_ port is 80) mark the packets with 1 in netfi=
lter
> # the handle seems to require to have value ffff (why ???)
> /sbin/iptables -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -t mangle -p tcp --sport 80 -j MAR=
> --set-mark 1
> # then add the queuing discipline
> tc qdisc add dev eth0 handle FFFF: ingress
> # limit bw to 64kbit. I'm not really sure of the burst and mtu values..=
=2E
> tc filter add dev eth0 parent ffff: protocol ip prio 50 handle 1 fw
> police rate 64kbit burst 2400 mtu 9k drop flowid :1
>
> Well, does anybody know whether it is possible to limit/manage incoming
> traffic in this way mentioned above or not?
Euh, this IS limiting incoming bandwidth :)
So I lied in the document on docum.org, I know.  You can limit incoming=20
bandwith with the ingress qdisc, but you can not use CBQ or HTB so you ca=
n't=20
use classes.
Also take a look at the wondershaper in the lartc howto.

Stef

--=20

stef.coene@docum.org
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"