[LARTC] How to priorize incoming traffic

Hello,

I think of how to priorize incoming traffic.

Therefor I read different web pages and found two different meanings.

On http://www.docum.org/stef.coene/qos/docs/BB/BB.html:

You can do traffic shaping with the Linux kernel. It's very important
that you understand that you can only shape the outgoing bandwidth.

On http://www.docum.org/stef.coene/qos/docs/mail_2.html:

# suppose you want to limit incoming web traffic (you are the client not
the server so the _source_ port is 80) mark the packets with 1 in netfilter
# the handle seems to require to have value ffff (why ???)
/sbin/iptables -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -t mangle -p tcp --sport 80 -j MARK
--set-mark 1
# then add the queuing discipline
tc qdisc add dev eth0 handle FFFF: ingress
# limit bw to 64kbit. I'm not really sure of the burst and mtu values...
tc filter add dev eth0 parent ffff: protocol ip prio 50 handle 1 fw
police rate 64kbit burst 2400 mtu 9k drop flowid :1

Well, does anybody know whether it is possible to limit/manage incoming
traffic in this way mentioned above or not?

Thanks,
Georg