[LARTC] VLAN howto

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 11:31:19AM +0100, Ard van Breemen wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 04:57:24PM -0500, Michael T. Babcock wrote:
> > I found this HOWTO on Linux VLAN support which might make a good link in the
> > HOWTO (hint, Bert, hint) unless its already there and I'm just blind ...
> > http://scry.wanfear.com/~greear/vlan/cisco_howto.html
> It is a little bit outdated I fear. Only the parts about cisco is
> interesting, the remainder can be found in the manual pages. There is
> no good MTU faq. There is no description of the frameformat etc...

The cisco bit is useful - Linux is not an island!

> It is in the kernel since 2.4.14, and is supported by debian.
> Just apt-get install vlan, and you are on your way. Besides that, the
> debian packaging uses normal /etc/network/interfaces settings to use it.

Cool. But that is probably debian unstable?

> Anyway:
> You are right in including everything good and networking. But then it
> should actually be called linux advanced networking :) (LAN).

That's how you should read LARTC - its not just routing.

> Important points to add:
> - New bonding (bonding.sf.net) has entered stable kernel
> - LVS (linux-virtual-server.org)
> - New bridgeing (bridge.sf.net)
>
> But I fear it will divert to much from the original point.

No it won't. LVS and new bridgeing are both mentioned in the HOWTO, the
bonding isn't. LVS has fine documentation of itself and only needs to be
mentioned. The new bridgeing code might need some more content in the HOWTO.

I would be very happy if somebody could to a writeup of the new bonding
code.

I don't see how that diverts anything too much. Volunteers welcome!

Regards,
bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com          Versatile DNS Software & Services