[LARTC] VLAN howto

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 04:57:24PM -0500, Michael T. Babcock wrote:
> I found this HOWTO on Linux VLAN support which might make a good link in the
> HOWTO (hint, Bert, hint) unless its already there and I'm just blind ...
> http://scry.wanfear.com/~greear/vlan/cisco_howto.html
It is a little bit outdated I fear. Only the parts about cisco is
interesting, the remainder can be found in the manual pages. There is
no good MTU faq. There is no description of the frameformat etc...

It is in the kernel since 2.4.14, and is supported by debian.
Just apt-get install vlan, and you are on your way. Besides that, the
debian packaging uses normal /etc/network/interfaces settings to use it.

Anyway:
You are right in including everything good and networking. But then it
should actually be called linux advanced networking :) (LAN).

Important points to add:
- New bonding (bonding.sf.net) has entered stable kernel
- LVS (linux-virtual-server.org)
- New bridgeing (bridge.sf.net)

But I fear it will divert to much from the original point.

Bert, what about LAN, including the lartc, the lowlevel stuff,
and other hot but apparently separate topics?

--
<ard@telegraafnet.nl> Telegraaf Elektronische Media  http://wwwijzer.nl
http://leerquoten.monster.org/ http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html