[LARTC] More things about /proc / failover of default gateway

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 11:06:26AM +0100, bert hubert wrote:
> I added this:
>
> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/route/gc_elasticity
>
> 	Values to control the frequency and behavior of the garbage collection
> 	algorithm for the routing cache. This can be important for when doing
> 	failover. At least gc_timeout seconds will elapse before Linux will skip to
> 	another route because the previous one has died. By default set to 300, you
> 	may want to lower it if you want to have a speedy failover.
Well, either you are a m4st3erh4ck0r, and you read the source, or you
found that information somewhere else. Ok, I just skimmed through the
source...  Alexey's mind is to great to add the wise comments my feeble
mind needs :(.

I am just emperically trying the settings this time to understand this
gc_ stuff... As far as I know being able to handle alternative routes
for when the primary route is dead is a host requirement.

BTW: I think that hosts should have simple failover controls like this,
but routers need and can have better failover controls than this.
I posted a rather simplistic nic monitor on linux-ha-dev last week, to
monitor a nic's health by arping(using arping ;)) the switch on a private
vlan. This way I can have any number of nic's monitored by one daemon.
--
<ard@telegraafnet.nl> Telegraaf Elektronische Media  http://wwwijzer.nl
http://leerquoten.monster.org/ http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html