[LARTC] Best way to manage a 128Kb/s pipe - help

On Tuesday 05 February 2002 19:27, Steven Thompson wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have a 128Kbs internet connection used for in-coming and out-going
> traffic.
>
> What tools do I need to manage the following services:
> http, ssh (scp), ftp, streaming audio, smtp, instant messenger.
Start reading the HOWTO :=20
http://ds9a.nl/2.4Routing/HOWTO/cvs/2.4routing/output/2.4routing-9.html

> Q1.  What is the best kernel to use at the moment and what other tools =
need
> to be installed.
I use kernel 2.4.9 and latest iproute2.

>   Internet  -------- eth0 | Linux fw | eth1 ----------- internal LAN
>
> The Linux firewall will running the following : Squid, Posfix mail serv=
er
> and NATing for internal LAN.
>

> Q2. How do divide the 128Kbs pipe so the following criteria is met:
You can use HTB or CBQ and even add SFQ qdiscs and as filter u32 or fw.

>   All ssh sessions (no scp) - Min 10Kbs, but can burst to 128Kbs if
> available
>   All scp or rsync uploads or downloads - Max 64Kbs , but can burst to
> 128Kbs if available (not sure what's best)
>   All icmp  & udp DNS requests - Min 10Kbs , but can burst to 128Kbs if
> available (not sure what's best)
>   All smtp incoming and out going - Max 64Kbs , but can burst to 128Kbs=
 if
> available (not sure what's best)
>   All http surfing and downloads - Max 64Kbs , but can burst to 128Kbs =
if
> available (not sure what's best)
>   All ftp downloads and uploads - Max 64Kbs , but can burst to 128Kbs i=
> available (not sure what's best)
>   All steaming audio and video gets what left over, but can burst to 12=
8Kbs
> if available (not sure what's best)
>
> Q3 I know squid can be set-up to limit bandwidth to a certain group or
> subnet ( i.e. 192.168.0.0/24 =3D max 64Kbs),
>      but as far as I know it can't be set up to burst to 128Kbs if it w=
as
> available. - Is the best option for HTTP limiting.
Question ?

> Q4. What is the best real time bandwidth usage tool. (i.e. I measure al=
> incoming and out-going traffic on the
>        Internet interface (eth0) using "IPTRAF" which works great but i=
> there a real-time web interface or a better tool
>        than "Iptraf"
I wrote a perl script : monitor.pl (can be found on www.docum.org).

Stef

--=20

stef.coene@docum.org
 More QOS info : http://www.docum.org/
 Title : "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"
    =20