Re: AMD integrated graphics passthrough to KVM guest

Hello again,

> For performance, I expect there will be a hit vs running on baremetal,
> but I don't know the extent.  I don't know if we suffer from the same
> problem you mention for Xen, but I don't see why it would be the case
> either (perhaps the link retrains at a lower speed?).

When using xen, at least some users experience that after a guest
which used VGA-passthrough powered down, the host has to be rebooted
as well before the guest is started again, since otherwise, the
graphics card is in some kind of half-initialized state (or so I read)
and won't do 3D acceleration.
Also, nVidia is said to be a lot more problematic than AMD in xen-land.

> Yes, with the correction of s/should/might/.  3D acceleration might also
> work.  Generally if you assign a passthrough graphics as a secondary
> device it will only work once you load the vendor driver stack (ex. AMD
> Catalyst), at which point the emulated graphics is disabled and the
> passthrough graphics becomes the primary for the guest.  Thanks,

I just tried with Windows 7. When the host's integrated CPU (set as
non-primary display) was used as secondary in the guest, driver
installation caused a bluescreen.
I also tried the equivalent with Linux Mint, but when the emulated
std-vga and the passthrough'd integrated GPU both are present, both
screens show garbage. When passing through the integrated GPU already
during Mint installation, the livecd makes the screens flicker, and
then I'm told X failed to detect screen resolutions. I haven't looked
further into this.

The latter I did with a command line like this:
qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -M q35 -m 1024 -cpu host -smp
2,sockets=1,cores=2,threads=1 -bios /home/gustav/myroot/bios.bin -vga
std -vnc :0 -device
ioh3420,bus=pcie.0,addr=1c.0,multifunction=on,port=1,chassis=1,id=root.1
-device vfio-pci,host=00:01.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.0,multifunction=on
-device vfio-pci,host=00:01.1,bus=root.1,addr=00.1 -device
ahci,bus=pcie.0,id=ahci -drive
file=/home/gustav/linuxmint-15-xfce-dvd-64bit-rc.iso,id=isocd -device
ide-cd,bus=ahci.1,drive=isocd

While the guest was running, there were lines saying "vcpu0 ignored
rdmsr", "vcpu0 ignored wrmsr", "vcpu0 unimplemented HWCR wrmsr" and
vcpu0 unimplemented perfctr wrmsr" in dmesg.
Relevant dmesg section if the integrated GPU is set as the host
primary: http://pastebin.com/DjALp678
Relevant dmesg section if the dedicated GPU is set as the host
primary: http://pastebin.com/7UX3xQtM

I don't know whether this is relevant.

Thank you very much for your help!