Re: Unable to boot from SCSI disk

28.05.2013 12:55, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Il 27/05/2013 23:25, Michael Tokarev ha scritto:
[]
>> but  it is wheezy, which ships with seabios 1.7.0, which does not
>> have scsi boot support.  So in order to boot from scsi, you have
>> to use old ,boot=on device property, which has been forward-ported
>> from older qemu-kvm version to 1.1 version used on debian, because
>> it was the only way at that time to boot from an scsi disk without
>> resorting to using proprietary firmware.
>
> Why don't you forward port the SCSI boot patches?

That'd be back-porting, not forward-porting.

Anyway, in Debian we use a bit different approach usually.  Namely,
instead of backporting lots of stuff resulting in a BigMess(tm),
we provide more recent upstream versions of the software but
compiled for previous (stable) debian release.  This mechanism
is named "debian backports".

The stable release itself does not receive any large feature
updates.  It receives bugfixes, but only important ones.

Besides, this scsi stuff doesn't really matter much -- it
helps in some very rare situations (for example, sometimes
this way it's easier to migrate from vmware to qemu), but
that's about it.  So I don't consider doing backports
especially for scsi.  If the new version backported to
debian _also_ fixes scsi issues, that's just a side-effect.

Thanks,

/mjt