Re: [nVMX Test] Build kernel (defconfig) on L2, w/ VMCS Shadowing enabled on L0

Kashyap Chamarthy <kashyap.cv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote on 13/05/2013 06:13:23 PM:

> Just to be clear:
>
>     - Short make - Subsequent runs of 'make 'after the first run (i.e.
> from page-cache).
>     - Long make - 1st run of 'make' , after a 'make clean' (i.e. from
disk).

> I presume that above is what you meant.

Not exactly. With short a make I was a referring to a run that does not
take
more than few minutes and with a long a make I was referring to a run
that may take an hour.

> > Note that if you just run make then the source files will be loaded
> > from disk only the first run (lot of I/O, which is slow with nested).
> > Next runs may load the files from the page-cache and you may notice a
> > performance improvement.
>
> Glad that you mention it..
>
> > Maybe, that's why your results were not like we expected in the first
> > time.
> >

> ..I did perform a "make clean" before doing "make" on each run.  I
> note it in the above kvm_stat files.

Note that "make clean" clears the output but the source files may still
be in the page-cache (if they were loaded into the cache by a previous
run).