Re: [nVMX Test] Build kernel (defconfig) on L2, w/ VMCS Shadowing enabled on L0

Kashyap Chamarthy <kashyap.cv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote on 13/05/2013 03:30:03 PM:

> 1] VMCS Shadowing *enabled* on L0; Kernel build on L2,
> 3.10.0-0.rc0.git26.1.fc20.x86_64
>
> Kernel build time on L2
> ------------------------------
>
>     $ time make
>     [...]
>     real    31m0.386s
>     user    16m43.655s
>     sys     14m6.451s
>
> kvm_stat intervals on L1
> -------------------------------
>
>     - http://kashyapc.fedorapeople.org/virt/kvm_stat-VMCS-Shadowing/
> kvm_stat-L0-VMCS-Shadowing-enabled.txt
>
>         - NOTE: The below statistics are from intervals ranging from
> 30 seconds to 6,10,13.. minutes.
>

> 2] VMCS Shadowing *disabled* on L0; Kernel build on L2,
> 3.10.0-0.rc0.git26.1.fc20.x86_64
>
> Kernel build time on L2
> ------------------------------
>     $ time make
>     [...]
>     real    40m56.010s
>     user    20m19.061s
>     sys     19m57.723s
>
> kvm_stat intervals on L1
> -------------------------------
>
>     - http://kashyapc.fedorapeople.org/virt/kvm_stat-VMCS-Shadowing/
> kvm_stat-L0-VMCS-Shadowing-disabled.txt
>
>         - NOTE: The below statistics are from intervals ranging from
> 30 seconds to 6,10,13.. minutes.
>
> Looks better ?

Much better :) Now seems the results were improved by 25% (reduced 10m of
40m)

> (Note to self: Maybe I should run these more number of times to
> monitor consistency)

Yes, that's a good point.
You could start with a short make and repeat the experiments to verify
the results are consistent. Once you have reproducible results with a
short make you can move to back to a long make.

Note that if you just run make then the source files will be loaded
from disk only the first run (lot of I/O, which is slow with nested).
Next runs may load the files from the page-cache and you may notice a
performance improvement.
Maybe, that's why your results were not like we expected in the first
time.