Re: [User Question] How to create a backup of an LVM based maschine without wasting space

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would leave them raw as long as they are sparse (zero regions do not
> take up space).  If you need to copy them you can either convert to
> qcow2 or use tools that preserve sparseness (BTW compression tools are
> good at this).

note that free blocks previously used by deleted files won't be
sparse, won't be zero and won't be much reduced by compression.

i'd say the usual advice stays:

A: if you run any non-trivial application on that VM, then use a real
network backup tool 'from the inside' of the VM
B: if real point-in-time application-cache-storage consistency is not
important, then you can:

- make a read-write LVM snapshot
- mount that and fsck.  (it will appear as not-cleanly unmounted)
- backup the files. (i like rsync, especially if you have an
uncompressed previous backup)
- umount and destroy the snapshot
- optionally compress the backup

but seriously consider option A before.  especially important if you
run any DB on that VM

--
Javier