Re: [User Question] How to create a backup of an LVM based maschine without wasting space

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Lukas Laukamp <lukas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am 12.10.2012 12:11, schrieb Stefan Hajnoczi:

>> Since there is a WAN link it's important to use a compact image
>> representation before hitting the network. I would use qemu-img
>> convert -O qcow2 on the host and only transfer the qcow2 output.  The
>> qcow2 file does not contain zero regions and will therefore save a lot
>> of network bandwidth compared to accessing the LVM volume over the
>> WAN.
>>
>> If you are using rsync or another tool it's a different story.  You
>> could rsync the current LVM volume on the host over the last full
>> backup, it should avoid transferring image data which is already
>> present in the last full backup - the result is that you only transfer
>> changed data plus the rsync metadata.
>>
>> Stefan
>> --
>

> Hello Stefan,
>
> the rsync part I don't have understood fully. So to create a qcow2 on the
> host, transfer this to the backup server will result in the weekly full
> backup. So do you mean I could use rsync to read the LVM from the host,
> compare the LVM data with the data in the qcow2 on the backup server and
> simply transfer the differences to the file? Or does it work on another way?

When using rsync you can skip qcow2.  Only two objects are needed:
1. The LVM volume on the host.
2. The last full backup on the backup client.

rsync compares #1 and #2 efficiently over the network and only
transfers data from #1 which has changed.

After rsync completes your full backup image is identical to the LVM
volume.  Next week you can use it as the "last" image to rsync
against.

Stefan