Re: [User Question] How to create a backup of an LVM based maschine without wasting space

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 08:52:32AM +0200, Lukas Laukamp wrote:
> I have a simple user question. I have a few LVM based KVM guests and
> wan't to backup them to files. The simple and nasty way would be to
> create a complete output file with dd, which wastes very much space.
> So I would like to create a backup of the LVM to a file which only
> locates the space which is used on the LVM. Would be create when the
> output file would be something like a qcow2 file which could be also
> simply startet with KVM.

If the VM is not running you can use "qemu-img convert":

  qemu-img convert -f raw -O qcow2 /dev/vg/vm001 vm001-backup.qcow2

Note that cp(1) tries to make the destination file sparse (see the
--sparse option in the man page).  So you don't need to use qcow2, you
can use cp(1) to copy the LVM volume to a raw file.  It will not use
disk space for zero regions.

If the VM is running you need to use LVM snapshots or stop the VM
temporarily so a crash-consistent backup can be taken.

Stefan