Re: SOLVED: RE: Garbled audio - Windows 7 64 bit guest on Debian

On 06/18/2012 10:32 PM, Jimmy Crossley wrote:

> I have mostly solved this issue.  The sound works much, much, better, but is still not as good as on my host machine.
>
> I installed PulseAudio and used it instead of ALSA.  In order to get kvm to use it, I set the environment variable QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=pa.  I had been using sudo to start the VM, and that kept this environment variable from being used.  I did a "sudo setcap cap_net_admin+ep /usr/bin/kvm" in order to be able to run kvm under a normal user account.  Now the sound works quite well.

That is good to hear.  But you are giving up on a lot of security if
you're running kvm as root (or with CAP_NET_ADMIN).  qemu supports
setting up the network externally and running with no special privileges.

Of course, it may not matter for your use case.