Re: Fritz!Card, MSIs and virtual machines

> There are patches in the queue to enable legacy interrupt sharing for
> PCI 2.3 compliant devices at least. But I bet the Fritz hardware
> predates even this (just like my Fritz!Card DSL v2).

Thank you very much for this hint. Do you know when these will be out?

Does anybody know about a PCI ISDN card which is PCI 2.3 compliant?

> Emulating an ISDN adapter could be fairly complicated, specifically if
> the interface the binary Windows driver expects is not well documented.
> Even for Linux-on-Linux, i.e. when you can debug both host and guest
> properly, this will be quite some work (just check the driver code of
> some popular ISDN adapters Linux supports).
>
> And it may turn out to be timing sensitive, e.g. for fax services.
> Emulation will happen in user space, i.e. in still fairly
> undeterministic QEMU hands, while device path through mostly happens in
> kernel space under KVM control.

I also think that it's not a good idea to solve the problem that way.

Perhaps there is such a thing like a USB ISDN adapter. We then could pass the USB port which this adapter is attached to to the virtual machine. But even if I am able to find such a device, I doubt that our fax system supports it. Nevertheless, there are chances that it works.

Regards,

Peter

P.S. Thanks for bothering with our exotic problem!