Re: Fritz!Card, MSIs and virtual machines

On 08.01.2012 17:51, Andreas Färber wrote:
> Am 07.01.2012 18:52, schrieb Binarus:
>> - Is it possible to run a guest with a mixture of I/O virtualization
>> technologies, i.e. run the most part of the guest by using KVM with VT-d
>> and VT-x, but "emulate" the PCI device without using these technologies?
>
> Yes, graphics card, network card, etc. are emulated by default.
>
> I'm just not aware of anyone having written such an emulation for QEMU.
> Meaning, you would need to find a card with sufficient documentation
> and/or Open Source drivers for implementing and to figure out how to
> pass ISDN through to your host from your implementation.

Many thanks for answering.

As Jan has pointed out in his reply, ISDN is very timing sensitive, so an emulation (which is in user space) might not work at all. Furthermore, we don't have the resources to write such an emulation, and I doubt that somebody else will do it.

Fax via VOIP still does not work reliably, so there must be many people who need ISDN in virtualized guests. I am wondering how other people are dealing with that problem.

Regards,

Peter