Re: Fritz!Card, MSIs and virtual machines

Binarus <lists <at> binarus.de> writes:
> Perhaps there is such a thing like a USB ISDN adapter. We then could pass the
USB port which this adapter is
> attached to to the virtual machine. But even if I am able to find such a
device, I doubt that our fax system
> supports it. Nevertheless, there are chances that it works.
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter
>
> P.S. Thanks for bothering with our exotic problem!

Hello, even this is a few Months old.

I got a similar issue but i didnt even tried to use a passtrough PCI device.
My instinct told me that this might be a long frustating night and it looks like
i was right :)

Anyway we got a ISDN USB Modem also a Fritz which can be passtrough to the Guest
but guess what - the guest instantly turn off - complete segfault not even a BSOD

Its also a win 2003 and has already the Fritz drivers (its a p2v)

So i came to 2 possible solutions both iam not very shure about.

1. buy a ISDN Serial modem and passtrough the serial port - which should be fine.
2. get somewho the usb box running on the host - map it to an tty and run it
from there.

My concernc specially for method 2 is that isdn riginig in problem on ttys
but i think its worth a try

just to find out if its posisble to get the usb box running on the host :)

anyway serial ISDN modems shoul dbe fine also for your application
serial is serial - so it shoul dbe supported by any fax solution in that
universe and even in some others

in germany thers only one manufacturer i know of producing that stuff - its
devolo having such a piece but heavy pricy - cheapest is 130€ up to 200€
compared to pci cards for 20 bucks a bit oveprices but hey if it works :)

anyway - well usb and pci passtrough support in KVM is not so much supported as
vmware supports it - i know it sucks a bit but actually it does make sense.

you put the server in a 19" rack to protect it form heat, cleaning personell and
even lightning, you buy a usv for several hundreds to protect it against
powersprice and failure and then you put in a usb or pci modem - one lightning
into your PABS (phonesystem) and your well protected server isnt worth the
metall its made off

from my point of view - networkcards and raidcontroller are the only pci(e)
devices in a server - usb only a keyboard, a mouse and in emergencys a usb drive
managed by the amdin himself - for eveything else theres a network device
(phone, fax, coffeemachine, whatever)

of course doenst help us by our problem but at least there are some real
arguments against pheriphere devices in a server