Re: [kvm] Re: Questions about duplicate memory work

On 9/26/11, Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 01:49:18PM +0800, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
>> On 9/25/11, Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > OK, so I've got a Linux host, and a bunch of Linux VMs.
>> >
>> > This means that the host *and* all tho VMs do their own disk
>> > caches/buffers and do their own swap as well.
>>
>> If I'm not wrong, that's why the recommended and current default
>> in libvirtd is to create storage devices with no caching to remove
>> one layer of duplication.
>
> How do you do that?  I have my VMs using LVs created on the host as
> their disks, but I'm open to other methods if there are significant
> advantages.

It's unrelated to what you're actually using as the disks, whether
file or block devices like LVs. I think it just makes KVM tell the
host not to cache I/O done on the storage device. To do so just use
the option cache=none when specify the storage. e.g. from
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Tuning_KVM
 qemu -drive file=/dev/mapper/ImagesVolumeGroup-Guest1,cache=none,if=virtio

or edit the cache attribute in the libvirt domain XML file if you're using that.