Questions about duplicate memory work

OK, so I've got a Linux host, and a bunch of Linux VMs.

This means that the host *and* all tho VMs do their own disk
caches/buffers and do their own swap as well.

That seems like a horrible duplication of effort, and likely to
result in performance problems.  I'm very annoyed by seeing the
*master* swapping out portions of the VM's qemu-kvm procs; that just
seems like a really bad idea.

Are there preferred solutions here?

I've considered turning off swap on the VMs so all the swapping at
least happens in *one place*; I dunno if that's best.

What I'd love is for the master to not swap or do disk
buffering/caching, so all the RAM management is at the VM level, but
I bet it's not really possible to do that.

-Robin