Re: Questions about duplicate memory work

On 9/25/11, Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> OK, so I've got a Linux host, and a bunch of Linux VMs.
>
> This means that the host *and* all tho VMs do their own disk
> caches/buffers and do their own swap as well.

If I'm not wrong, that's why the recommended and current default in
libvirtd is to create storage devices with no caching to remove one
layer of duplication.

> I've considered turning off swap on the VMs so all the swapping at
> least happens in *one place*; I dunno if that's best.

Not sure it's a good idea. If the VM needs more working memory than
you allocated, I think it locks up dead if there is insufficient swap
space. At least that appears to be what happened to one of mine.