Re: Windows7 crashes inside the VM when starting a certain program

On 27.07.2011 10:56, Gleb Natapov wrote:
On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 12:57:44PM +0200, André Weidemann wrote:
Hi,

On 26.07.2011 12:08, Gleb Natapov wrote:
On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 07:29:04AM +0200, André Weidemann wrote:
On 07.07.2011 07:26, André Weidemann wrote:
Hi,
I am running Windows7 x64 in a VM which crashes after starting a certain
game. Actually there are two games both from the same company, that make
the VM crash after starting them.
Windows crashes right after starting the game. With the 1st game the
screen goes black as usual and the cursor keeps spinning for 3-5 seconds
until Windows crashes. With the second game I get to 3D the login
screen. The game then crashes after logging in.
Windows displays this error message on the first crash:
http://pastebin.com/kMzk9Jif
Windows then finishes writing the crash dump and restarts.
I can reproduce Windows crashing every time I start the game while the
VM keeps running without any problems.
When Windows reboots after the first crash and the game is started
again, the message on the following blue screen changes slightly and
stays the same(except for the addresses) for every following crash:
http://pastebin.com/jVtBc4ZH

I first thought that this might be related to a certain feature in 3D
acceleration being used, but Futuremark 3DMark Vantage or 3DMark 11 run
without any problems. They run a bit choppy on some occasions, but do
that without crashing Windows7 or the VM.

How can I proceed to investigate what is going wrong?

I did some testing and found out that Windows7 does not crash
anymore when changing "-cpu host" to "-cpu Nehalem". After doing so,
What is your host cpu (cat /proc/cpuinfo)?

The server is currently running on 2 out of 8 cores with kernel boot
parameter "maxcpus=2".

flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr
pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good
xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est
tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm ida tpr_shadow
vnmi flexpriority ept vpid
Flags that are present on -cpu host but not -cpu Nehalem (excluding vmx
related flags):

vme dts acpi ss ht tm pbe rdtscp constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good
xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 xtpr pdcm  ida

Some of them may be synthetic and some of them may be filtered by KVM.

Can you try to run "-cpu host,-vme,-dts..." (specifying all of those
flags with -). Drop those that qemu does not recognize. See if result
will be the same as with -cpu Nehalem. If yes, then try to find out with
flag make the difference.

I started the VM with all flags that differ between the two CPUs. After removing the ones qemu-kvm did not recognize, I started the VM again with the following line: -cpu host,-vme,-acpi,-ss,-ht,-tm,-pbe,-rdtscp,-dtes64,-monitor,-ds_cpl,-est,-tm2,-xtpr,-pdcm \

Running the program under Windows7 inside the VM, caused Windows to crash again with a BSoD.
The disassembly of the address fffff8000288320c shows the following:
http://pastebin.com/7yzTYJSG

André