Re: EuroSec'11 Presentation

From: Avi Kivity <avi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: EuroSec'11 Presentation
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 18:48:41 +0300

> On 04/11/2011 06:46 PM, Kuniyasu Suzaki wrote:
> > >
> > >  But it's a well known issue with colocation and the attack can be
> > >  executed just by looking at raw memory access time (to guess whether
> > >  another process brought something into the cache).
> >
> > Thank you for comments.
> > The memory disclosure attack can be prevented by several ways mention in my "Countermeasure" side (Page 22).
> >
> > If we limit KSM on READ-ONLY pages, we detect and prevent the attack.
> > I also think most memory deduplication is on READ-ONLY pages.
> >

> With EPT or NPT you cannot detect if a page is read only.
>
> Furthermore, at least Linux (without highmem) maps all of memory with a
> read/write mapping in addition to the per-process mapping, so no page is
> read-only.

Unfortunately, yes. Linux kernel maps all memory with read/write.
I met this problem already.
I have to find another OS which clearly separete read only pages.

I also know the CPU can not distinguish read only pages.
However, If a VMM can trace CR3 and retrive the page tables, we can
distinguish read only page or not.
Yes, it is a academic interest.

------
suzaki