Re: EuroSec'11 Presentation

On 04/11/2011 03:51 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
I'm happy to hear your comments.
The referee's comment was severe. It said there was not brand-new
point, but there are real attack experiences.  My paper was just
evaluated the detction on apahce2 and sshd on Linux Guest OS and
Firefox and IE6 on Windows Guest OS.
If I have a VM on the same physical host as someone else I may be able
to determine which programs and specific versions they are currently
running.

Is there some creative attack using this technique that I'm missing?
I don't see many serious threats.

It's a deviation of a previously demonstrated attack where memory access timing is used to guess memory content. This has been demonstrated in the past to be a viable technique to reduce the keyspace of things like ssh keys which makes attack a bit easier.

But it's a well known issue with colocation and the attack can be executed just by looking at raw memory access time (to guess whether another process brought something into the cache).

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Stefan