Re: Virtual SCSI disks hangs on heavy IO

On Monday 14 March 2011 20:32:23 Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Guido Winkelmann
>
> <guido-kvml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Does anybody have an idea what might cause this or what might be done
> > about it?
>
> The lsi_scsi emulation code is incomplete.  It does not handle some
> situations like the ORDERED commands or message 0x0c.
>
> There is a patch to address the message 0xc issue, it has not been
> applied to qemu.git or qemu-kvm.git yet:
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/63926/
>
> Basically there is no one actively maintaining or reviewing patches
> for the lsi53c895a SCSI controller.

Does that mean that using the SCSI transport for virtual disks is officially
unsupported or deprecated or that it should be?

Are things better with the IDE driver?

> virtio-blk works very will with Linux guests.  Is there a reason you
> need to use SCSI emulation instead of virtio-blk?

I can probably use virtio-blk most of the time, I was just hoping to be able
to virtualize a wider array of operating systems, like the *BSDs,
(Open)Solaris, Windows, or even just some linux distributions whose installers
don't anticipate KVM and thus don't support virtio-<anything>.

Regards,

        Guido