Re: [RFC 0/4] KVM in-kernel PM Timer implementation

On 12/14/2010 09:38 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
Fortunately, we have a very good bytecode interpreter that's accelerated in the kernel called KVM ;-)

We have exactly the same bytecode interpreter under a different name, it's called userspace.

If you can afford to make the transition back to the guest for emulation, you might as well transition to userspace.

If you re-entered the guest and setup a stack that had the RIP of the source of the exit, then there's no additional need to exit the guest. The handler can just do an iret. Or am I missing something?

Why not have the equivalent of a paravirtual SMM mode where we can reflect IO exits back to the guest in a well defined way? It could then implement PM timer in terms of HPET or something like that.

More exits.

Yeah, I should have said, implement in terms of kvmclock so no additional exits.

We already have a virtual address space that works for most guests thanks to the TPR optimization.

It only works for Windows XP and Windows XP with the /3GB extension.

Is this a fundamental limitation or just a statement of today's heuristics? Does any guest not keep the BIOS in virtual memory in a static location?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori