Re: [RFC 0/4] KVM in-kernel PM Timer implementation

On Tue, 2010-12-14 at 15:34 +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 12/14/2010 02:09 PM, Ulrich Obergfell wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is an RFC through which I would like to get feedback on how the
> > idea of in-kernel PM Timer would be received.
> >
> > The current implementation of PM Timer emulation is 'heavy-weight'
> > because the code resides in qemu userspace. Guest operating systems
> > that use PM Timer as a clock source (for example, older versions of
> > Linux that do not have paravirtualized clock) would benefit from an
> > in-kernel PM Timer emulation.
> >
> > Parts 1 thru 4 of this RFC contain experimental source code which
> > I recently used to investigate the performance benefit. In a Linux
> > guest, I was running a program that calls gettimeofday() 'n' times
> > in a loop (the PM Timer register is read during each call). With
> > in-kernel PM Timer, I observed a significant reduction of program
> > execution time.
> >
> > The experimental code emulates the PM Timer register in KVM kernel.
> > All other components of ACPI PM remain in qemu userspace. Also, the
> > 'timer carry interrupt' feature is not implemented in-kernel. If a
> > guest operating system needs to enable the 'timer carry interrupt',
> > the code takes care that PM Timer emulation falls back to userspace.
> > However, I think the design of the code has sufficient flexibility,
> > so that anyone who would want to add the 'timer carry interrupt'
> > feature in-kernel could try to do so later on.
> >

> What is the motivation for this?  Are there any important guests that
> use the pmtimer?
Avi,

All older RHEL and Windows, for example, would benefit for this.

> If anything I'd expect hpet or the Microsoft synthetic timers to be a
> lot more important.

True. But also a lot more work.
Implementing just the pm timer counter - not the whole of it - in
kernel, gives us a lot of gain with not very much effort. Patch is
pretty simple, as you can see, and most of it is even code to turn it
on/off, etc.