Re: [RFC 0/4] KVM in-kernel PM Timer implementation

On 12/14/2010 02:09 PM, Ulrich Obergfell wrote:
Hi,

This is an RFC through which I would like to get feedback on how the
idea of in-kernel PM Timer would be received.

The current implementation of PM Timer emulation is 'heavy-weight'
because the code resides in qemu userspace. Guest operating systems
that use PM Timer as a clock source (for example, older versions of
Linux that do not have paravirtualized clock) would benefit from an
in-kernel PM Timer emulation.

Parts 1 thru 4 of this RFC contain experimental source code which
I recently used to investigate the performance benefit. In a Linux
guest, I was running a program that calls gettimeofday() 'n' times
in a loop (the PM Timer register is read during each call). With
in-kernel PM Timer, I observed a significant reduction of program
execution time.

The experimental code emulates the PM Timer register in KVM kernel.
All other components of ACPI PM remain in qemu userspace. Also, the
'timer carry interrupt' feature is not implemented in-kernel. If a
guest operating system needs to enable the 'timer carry interrupt',
the code takes care that PM Timer emulation falls back to userspace.
However, I think the design of the code has sufficient flexibility,
so that anyone who would want to add the 'timer carry interrupt'
feature in-kernel could try to do so later on.

What is the motivation for this? Are there any important guests that use the pmtimer?

If anything I'd expect hpet or the Microsoft synthetic timers to be a lot more important.