Re: Help converting existing VMWare Server 2 guest to KVM

On 7/11/10, ewheeler <kvm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm having trouble on CentOS 5.5 too

That doesn't sound too positive since Redhat is supposedly shifting to
KVM as their virtualization platform of choice. :(

>--- Have you tried the testing repo using these instructions?
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/KVM#head-ddf21f42074a58b940ff360d78b7f79130c193e4
>
> You might also try the EPEL and freshrpms repo for the latest qemu/kvm
> support.

I was hoping it won't come down to such hoop jumping especially on the
machine which does serve some light production duties. I'll give it a
spin once I've gathered the spare parts to build my two node test
setup.

> BTW, I am having great success using Ubuntu 10.04 as a host OS and
> running the VMs under it---and I've been a die-hard CentOS/RHEL guy for
> years.   I  tried CentOS 5.[45] a while ago for KVM and was not pleased
> with the functionality, primarily because CentOS still uses the 2.6.18
> relic with (too)many backports.
>
> Let us know how it goes!

I'm quite tempted now and then to give Ubuntu a spin especially given
the support/integration for the newer stuff like Eucalyptus. However,
at the same time, I'm risk averse and sys/infrastructure being a
seconded duty, I more inclined to keep everything on the same OS so I
won't screw up something accidentally. Don't want to use the wrong
switch/options on a command one day and find myself wrecking a
production system :D

But if CentOS really can't be made to work, then it is either Ubuntu
or sticking to VMware, I might just bite the bullet just so I don't
end up stuck with a VM setup that's not supported a few years down the
road.